An insurance policy or cover is essential to protect yourself and your family’s future. However, high insurance premiums on most policies discourage workers from opting for the same. For workers who have been looking for the most secure insurance cover, the Aam Admi Bima Yojana is the perfect solution.
The Aam Admi Bima Yojana scheme has been formulated by the Ministry of Finance, Government of India, in association with the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC). This scheme provides insurance cover to workers belonging to a vocational group or a rural landless household.
This scheme covers the following occupations and vocations:
- Textile Workers
- Forest Workers
- Leather And Tannery Workers
- Handloom Weavers
- Handloom And Khadi Weavers
- Coconut Processors
- Plantation Workers
- Sheep Breeders
- Women Associated With Self-Help Groups
- Power-Loom Workers
- Physically Handicapped
- Self-Employed Personnel
- Rickshaw Pullers/Auto Drivers
- Handicraft Artisans
- Beedi Workers
- Female Tailors
- Brick Kiln Workers
What are the benefits of this scheme?
The benefits of this scheme are as follows:
Insurance cover is provided against the following risks:
- Death due to a natural cause – ₹30,000.00
- Death due to accident – ₹75,000.00
- Permanent disability (loss of two eyes or two limbs) – ₹75,000.00
- Partial disability (loss of one eye or one limb) – ₹37,500.00
- Free add-on benefit – scholarship of ₹100.00 per month for child of the worker, studying in standards IXth through XIIth
What is the eligibility criteria for this scheme?
The eligibility criteria to apply for this scheme is as follows:
- Worker’s age should be between 18-59 years.
- Worker should ideally be the head of the family or one of the earning members of a family who is below the poverty line or marginally above the poverty line.
How can a worker apply for this scheme?
A worker can apply to this scheme by filling the application form here.
What are the documents required for this scheme?
The documents required for this scheme are as follows:
- Ration card
- Extract from birth certificate
- Extract from school certificate
- Voter’s list
- Identity card issued by reputed employer/government department
- Unique identification card (Aadhar card)
The following procedures must be taken note of:
Death claim procedure
In the case of death due to natural causes, the nominee of the deceased worker has to submit the original death certificate along with the application form to the designated official of the nodal agency (central/state ministerial department, or Union Territory of India).
In case of death due to an accident the following additional documents need to be submitted –
- Copy of FIR
- Post-mortem report
- Police inquest report
- Police conclusion report/final report of the police
Accident claim procedure
The following documents need to be submitted in case the applicant suffers an accident leading to permanent total/partial disability –
- Documentary evidence of the accident
- Medical certificate from a government civil surgeon or qualified government orthopaedic certifying permanent total/partial disability due to accident, stating loss of limb/s of the member covered under the scheme
Scholarship claim procedure
The applicant whose child is eligible for the scholarship needs to submit an application form every six months to the nodal agency.
For more information regarding this scheme click here.